Sunday, December 2, 2007

Boy Survives Deer Antler in Brain

5 year old Connor Schick survived a freak accident, when he fell on an antler he was carrying and it penetrated his eye socket and went into his brain.

Connor had found the antler in the wood while he and his family were on a camping trip.

While carrying the antler back to show his family, he tripped and it went through his eye socket and into the frontal lobe of his brain.

He pulled the antler out himself but his family didn't realize how severe his injury was. A couple days later, he developed a bad infection and was taken to the hospital.

The doctors gave Connor an MRI and discovered that the antler had penetrated his brain and caused a severe infection to develop.
To the left is an graphic depicting how the antler entered his brain.

They treated his infection with high doses of antibiotics and he fully recovered.

Amazingly, he had no permanent brain damage and can see fine through the injured eye.

Connor's mom, Melissa, said this about the incident: “It makes you appreciate your children even more,” she said. “You want to hug and hold them every day and kiss them, because in a second, it can change.”

You can read the full story and watch a video of Connor on the Today show.

No comments: